The Charlotte Film School does two things really well:
1. We bring together the best working professional filmmakers and the men and women who want to learn from them through in-person workshops and classes. We meet in clean, modern spaces and all of our teachers are down-to-earth and experts in their fields.
2. We organize dozens of events, all listed on our meetup page (meetup.com is free and is easy to use) including film screenings, cast and crew calls and meetups in coffeeshops to discuss various topics, monthly “Coffee with a Film Festival Director”, monthly “Gathering of Documentary Filmmakers and Wannabes, Lunchtime screenings and discussions of short films, and a wide variety of classes and workshops.
We created Charlotte Unconventional Film School for people like you:
- We vary racially, by age, background, interests and ethnically but share a love of film, a curiosity about improving our skills, an urge to create and a desire to learn filmmaking by doing filmmaking.
- We have some experience with filmmaking but want more.
- We know the power of this medium.
- The only drama ’round here is what you’ll find in some of our films.
- Our workshops are for adults 18+
Fall 2019 will be our fourth unconventional “semester”
Here’s a short history:
Summer of 2017, started with informal meetups in parks and coffeeshops with the intention of gathering local men and women to talk about various filmmaking related topics.
Spring of 2018 was our first semester. Starting with a cohort of ten people, we had 12 classes with 12 different local film pros as teachers. We made four short films about local non-profits at the end of our semester. Many deep friendships were built during this time and many films have been made by folks who met through that semester. In addition to the cohort, each class was open to anyone to take “a la carte”
Fall of 2018 we offered an array of top quality classes, this time without a previously recruited cohort of students.
Spring of 2019 we partnered with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library to offer 10 free classes on Saturdays, serving over 600 local Charlotte men and women.
Fall of 2019 we are partnering again with the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library to offer three types of classes this fall including two sessions of a four-week Documentary Filmmaking class, a one-day session on screenwriting and four small-group (only 15 people permitted) hands-on classes on four different Saturdays (can only attend one of the four) where we will film scenes. In addition to these, we are currently (August 2019) solidifying our schedule and will feature classes in Spanish and English plus ten various classes on Wednesdays. keep checking out our page on meetup which is the most up to date place where we put our info: https://www.meetup.com/Charlotte-Independent-Filmmaking-Meetup/